Navigating the City of Austin’s certification programs for minority and women-owned businesses can be intimidating, but it can also lead to valuable contracting opportunities for city projects.
Elton Price from the City of Austin’s Small & Minority Business Resources Dept. guided us through the MBE, WBE and other certifications at the October 2011 Freelance Austin meeting.
He shared with us:
- how to get started with the certification process
- types of certifications available through the City of Austin
- how the City can submit your application as a State of Texas HUB
- tips for bidding on city contracts
- resources for navigating contract opportunities
Mr. Price is the Certification Division Manager for the City of Austin’s Small & Minority Business Resources Dept. (SMBR). He oversees a staff that reviews applications to ensure applicants own, manage, and control the day-to-day operations of their businesses. Elton is a native who has worked with the City of Austin for 11 years.
Legal Issues for the Freelancer
The meeting was held at:
Ronald McDonald House
1315 Barbara Jordan Boulevard
Austin, TX 78723
- Editorial Calendars: Tools and Tips from the Pros - May 18, 2015
- Writing Proposals that Get the Job: Meeting Recap - May 14, 2014
- Infographics — A Picture’s Worth 1,000 Words: Meeting Recap - April 9, 2014